SmileCreator of Bingham Farms has many great options to help you get back on track to a healthy and functional smile. If you’re missing teeth, the first step is to see Dr. Kosinski for a consultation to discuss your options. This will allow us to take a look at your problem areas and figure out which tooth-replacement options work best for you and your budget.
The next step is to read through this side-by-side comparison of the three most popular treatment options for replacing teeth: dentures, bridges, and dental implants.
This information is intended to help our patients decide which replacement option might work best. All names have been modified to protect the privacy of our patients.
Steve is a 60-year-old male patient who replaced his missing teeth with removable dentures. Steve chose dentures because he lost half of his upper arch of teeth in a bicycle accident.
Steve’s tooth replacement selection consists of an arch of replacement teeth anchored into a base of moldable plastic that matches his gum tissue.
Dentures are a great tooth replacement option for patients who:
- Are looking for an affordable option that’s easy to get
- Want a custom set of dentures tailored to their unique bite
- Seek a tooth replacement solution that’s made in just a few weeks
- Want improved functionality without surgery or altering the structure of surrounding teeth
Although Steve enjoys his new smile, he admits that there are a few disadvantages to dentures:
- Dentures can be uncomfortable sometimes
- They look less natural than other tooth replacement options
- They don’t stop bone deterioration, which occurs when teeth are missing for many years
- Dentures can result in a sunken facial appearance and premature wrinkles
- Some patients may have difficulty speaking and chewing
Carmen is a 34-year-old female patient who chose a dental bridge as her tooth restoration option. She was missing two front teeth, so the bridge was permanently attached to her surrounding teeth.
Once her procedure was initiated, her adjacent natural teeth were filed down to provide space for the two replacement teeth. To get started, her natural teeth needed to be free from decay and structurally sound.
Carmen did a lot of comparison shopping before she made her tooth replacement selection. She chose this treatment because:
- Bridges are less expensive than other restoration options
- No surgery is required
- New prosthetic teeth are installed faster than other treatments
- Bridges offer less risk since parts could be replaced without significant pain or effort
According to Carmen, there are a few downsides to her bridge:
- This option isn’t reversible — once natural teeth are ground down for anchors to a dental bridge, they can never be normal again
- This process could increase the future risk of decay or root canal treatment
Norman is a 57-year-old male patient with several teeth missing after suffering from issues with gum disease when he was younger. After doing research on his treatment options, he discovered that dental implants were the gold standard of care for tooth replacement.
His restoration was based upon a foundation of titanium roots that were permanently connected to his jawbone. Once this part healed, the pieces fused with his jawbone to create a strong and permanent anchor for his natural-looking replacement teeth.
Norman loves his dental implants because:
- They’re a permanent solution for missing teeth
- They look and function just like natural teeth
- Implants are the only tooth replacement op that can reduce or eliminate jawbone deterioration
- They can be maintained with daily brushing, flossing, and regular dental exams
There aren’t many, but dental implants do have a few potential drawbacks:
- Typically, implants aren’t fully covered by dental insurance
- The implant process can be long, compared to other options that are completed in a few weeks
- Dental implants require multiple office visits over the course of three to six months
- Supplementary procedures like bone grafts and tissue augmentation may be required for some patients
However, on the whole, Norman loves his treatment choice and insists that he only wishes he had gotten dental implants sooner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does insurance pay for dentures, bridges, or implants?
Most insurance plans don’t fully cover these treatments unless they’re deemed medically necessary. However, depending on the terms of your plan, a portion of your total cost might be covered. If you’re not sure about what is and isn’t covered, we’re happy to answer your questions.
How do I care for my dentures? What happens if they break?
In order to prolong the life of your dentures, it’s important that you remove them every night and leave them to soak in water or a denture solution. Brushing your dentures daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a mild, colorless soap will keep them in peak condition.
It’s highly recommended to use cleaning solutions without chemicals or bleach in order to avoid permanently damaging your dentures. Keeping healthy oral habits can help avoid stains to your dentures. In the event of damage to your dentures, it’s important that you do not try to fix them yourself. Keep them stored in a safe and clean place until Dr. Kosinski can see you.
Is the dental implants process painful?
If the thought of oral surgery makes you nervous and concerned about pain, you’re not alone. Rest assured, Dr. Kosinski takes great care to make the dental implant process as comfortable as possible for our patients in the Bingham Farms and Beverly Hills, MI community.
We offer safe sedation methods including oral sedation and intravenous (IV) sedation, which allows patients to remain fully relaxed and pain-free during their treatment with us. If you experience more discomfort than anticipated, please let us know so that we can make immediate adjustments to ensure your comfort.
Contact Us Today to Discuss Your Options
Here at SmileCreator of Bingham Farms, we enjoy helping patients restore their self-esteem with attractive and functional dental implants. Your healthy smile is our first priority! Our staff is ready and proud to serve our Bingham Farms and Beverly Hills, MI community by turning your dream smile into a reality.
If you’d like to know more about dental implant candidacy or your payment options, give us a call at 248-646-8651 to speak to a friendly staff member. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have and schedule a consultation with Dr. Kosinski.