What is Sedation Dentistry?
Does your heart begin to race as you drive over to your dental appointment? Do your palms sweat when you’re in the waiting room? Dental phobias and anxiety are problems that affect nearly 36% of the American population. Many people result in avoiding the dentist altogether which further impact their oral health and even their quality of life.
Luckily, there are various sedation treatments available that can help ease your worries and fears associated with the dentist. Sedation dentistry may eliminate some or all of a patient’s anxiety using a calming medication that helps them relax or doze off during a procedure.
At Smile Creator of Bingham Farms, Dr. Kosinski may offer different options of sedation for our patients who are undergoing surgery or even for anyone who’s too nervous for their checkup. Explore sedation dentistry in Bingham Farms and see how you can benefit from our treatment options.
General Candidacy for Sedation Dentistry
Dr. Kosinski doesn’t want to see any of our patients turn down treatment due to their dental phobia or anxiety. Maintaining substantial oral health is crucial for your smile and your wellbeing. Living with an untreated, damaged smile can have major effects on your psychological health such as reducing your self-esteem and causing depression.
If you’re afraid of seeing the dentist, don’t hesitate to ask about sedation options. It can truly save you and your overall health by receiving the necessary care. Aside from being fearful, other reasons for sedation dentistry include:
- Undergoing multiple or complex procedures
- Feeling helpless and the loss of control
- A patient is afraid due to previous bad dental experiences
- Bad gag reflex
- Sensitive teeth
- To subdue a low pain threshold
- Can’t sit still in a dental chair
Types of Dental Sedation at Smile Creator
Here in Bingham Farms, we want our patients to feel comfortable and confident when undergoing treatment with our team. We offer two types of dental sedation at our office that are safely administered by Dr. Kosinski.
Our sedation methods include:
- Oral Sedation: One of our most popular options, oral sedation, is provided to you prior to your procedure with a medication that you’ll orally take before coming to our office. The medication will help you relax and feel at ease, and depending on the dosage, some patients will even fall asleep.
- Intravenous Sedation: Also known as IV sedation, this method is ideal for patients with acute dental anxiety or undergoing complex procedures. It’s safely and effectively administered through an IV and will be monitored throughout your entire surgery so you’re completely stress-free.
Levels of Sedation
Depending on your procedure or the severity of your dental phobia or anxiety, Dr. Kosinski may control the levels of sedation during your procedure. The different levels of sedation include:
- Minimal — You’ll be awake but completely relaxed and at ease
- Moderate or “Conscious” — You’ll be a bit drowsy and slur words when speaking and you might not remember much of the procedure
- Deep — You’ll be on the edge of consciousness but can still be awakened easily
- General anesthesia — You’ll be completely unconscious and asleep
Don’t Let Your Fear Stop You From Getting the Care You Need
Professional dental care is vital when caring for any possible problems in your oral health. Dr. Kosinski doesn’t want any patient to pass up the opportunity to restore or enhance their smile due to a dental phobia or anxiety.
At Smile Creator, we provide a tranquil environment, sedation dentistry, and a confident team that helps you relax and feel comfortable in any treatment you receive. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our dental sedatives.