Maintain Your Bright Smile With Regular Dental Exams
Maintaining a beautiful smile goes beyond just brushing and flossing – it’s about the preventive measures that keep your smile shining. At Smile Creator, our Bingham Farms, MI dentist, Dr. Timothy Kosinski, stresses the importance of dental exams for optimal oral health. With regular dental exams, your Bingham Farms dentist can detect issues before they become serious problems.
Learn more about how bi-annual checkups can improve your oral health by giving Smile Creator of Bingham Farms a call at 248-646-8651.
What Are Dental Examinations?
Dental exams are thorough evaluations performed by your Bingham Farms dentist to assess your overall oral health. It involves a series of checks such as X-rays and reviewing existing dental work to ensure everything is in good condition. These examinations aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of your oral health status.
What to Expect During Your Dental Exam
Dental History Review
Dr. Kosinski will go over your health history, discuss any medications you’re taking, and ask about any concerns you may have. Being open with your medical history helps us best assess your oral health.
Oral Cancer Screening
Dr. Kosinski will feel for lumps or irregular tissue changes in your neck, head, cheeks, and oral cavity that could indicate oral cancer. Regular oral cancer screenings are essential for early detection.
Assessment of Gum and Bone Health
Dr. Kosinski will look for signs of periodontal disease, like gum inflammation and bone loss, which can indicate infection. Healthy gums should be pink and firm, not puffy or bright red.
Examination of Existing Restorations
Your Bingham Farms dentist will check prior dental work, like fillings, crowns, bridges, and implants, to ensure they’re intact and functioning. Inform Dr. Kosinski if you have any discomfort around these restorations.
Oral Hygiene Evaluation
Dr. Kosinski will examine your teeth and gums for plaque, tartar, and cavities. He’ll also assess your brushing and flossing habits to determine if you need help improving your oral hygiene routines.
Dental X-rays allow Dr. Kosinski to detect cavities between teeth and infections in the bone that cannot be seen during a visual dental checkup.
A dental hygienist will clean your teeth to remove built-up plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums. This preventive measure helps avoid cavities and gum disease.
Benefits of Dental Exams
Regular dental exams, usually twice a year, are essential for protecting your oral and overall health. Maintaining your routine exam schedule helps patients create excellent oral health for years to come.
- Detect Early Signs of Decay: Small cavities or gum infections are much easier to treat when caught early. Waiting to receive treatment leads to more extensive, costly procedures.
- Assess Risk Factors: Dr. Kosinski can evaluate habits like teeth grinding, diet, and medication side effects that raise your risk for oral diseases and create a prevention plan.
- Screen for Oral Cancer: Oral cancer screenings during dental checkups can detect cancer early when it’s most treatable. Survival rates are much higher when we catch it in the early stages.
- Analyze Gum Health: Periodontal exams allow Kosinski to gauge the health of your gums and take steps to improve it if necessary. This helps avoid tooth loss.
- Identify Problems with Restorations: Checking old fillings, crowns, and bridges at exams ensures you aren’t developing secondary decay, cracks, or looseness that require replacement.
- Clean Away Plaque Buildup: Regular cleanings remove plaque that exams alone miss. This plaque causes cavities and gum inflammation when allowed to remain on teeth.
- Provide Overall Health Insights: Since oral health is tied to whole-body health, Kosinski can sometimes detect signs of diseases like diabetes during thorough exams.